Saturday, November 1, 2008

Everyone has something they love doing that they’re good at. Some like to sit back and read, but I like to play sports. In high school, I was involved in just about every extracurricular activity that was offered. Until my junior year, I didn’t really like track. I didn’t even go out for it my freshman year, and my sophomore year wasn’t too extraordinary. When my junior year strolled around, my friend and I agreed not to go out for track. After all, it wasn’t that fun to us, so why do it? When it came down to it, our other friends talked us into going out, and I am so glad that we did. My junior year was my best year of track. This was the year that I finally got down my rhythm when it came to hurdles. I cut several seconds off of both my 100 hurdles and 300 hurdles; I even broke my school’s record in the 100 hurdles. I loved them. The year went so well; I went to state in both hurdle races, the 400 meter dash, and the 4x100 meter relay. When the year got over, I couldn’t wait for my senior year of track. My senior year came, and my volleyball season went quickly. When basketball began, I couldn’t play until December because I had a severe case of mononucleosis. I was so excited to start basketball once my doctor released me, but I was a little out of shape. When it came to my third game, I had finally earned the position of starting and being a captain. That game went to the worst. I tore my ACL in the third quarter. Sports were my life; I had no idea what to do without participating in them. I didn’t do much in track, and that’s what helped me decide to do it here at Wesleyan. I want a second chance, and even though I’m still working on building my strength back up, I am getting excited for track. Sometimes I forget about how much I love the hurdles, but it doesn’t take much to remind me of the one-two-three rhythm of the three-stepping of 100 hurdles.

No comments: