Sunday, December 7, 2008

Little Bracelet

It sits on my desk, aside from my other jewelry. The bracelet that my Aunt Linda gave me for my thirteenth birthday means the world to me. Since she does not live close by, she sent it to me in the mail that special day. The sight of that little box wrapped in a brown paper bag still lurks in my memory. After I opened the package, the bracelet was on my wrist in a flash.



The red, green, and brown beads picked up different colors in the light as I twirled my wrist a little. The silver beads in between the colored ones shined for me to gaze at. This bracelet was unlike any bracelet I had owned before. Other bracelets were from stores of lesser value, like Claire’s, but not this one. I was not sure where this bracelet was from, but I was certain that it was not from a store like Claire’s. The way I felt when I wore that bracelet was different. Once I put on that red, green, brown, and silver bracelet, I felt like more of an adult. No longer did I feel like the rest of my friends who were wearing plastic bead bracelets or necklaces because I had a nice bracelet.

The face that it made me feel older could have been because my Aunt Linda had one similar to it. Hers was much nicer, of course, but at that time, I thought they were of the same value. It gave me pride to know that I had jewelry like my aunt, a grown-up woman. I still have that bracelet. The beads are not quite as glittery in the light, and some of the silver somehow specked off. However, no matter what it looks like, it will always make me feel like a grownup while I am wearing it.

No comments: